Thursday, April 07, 2005

So far so good !!

It is the beginning of the end, the end of the semester that is :) The first week so far hasnt been too bad. Havent had to pull those all nighters yet and am hoping it stays that way.

Things have been progressing well and more importantly am feeling for want of a better word, I shall call "at peace". Went with Nats yesterday evening to attend a seminar on "game theory". Dont let the name fool u.. Its not "game theory".. nooooo.. what we saw was different and revolutionary... It entertained and made u want to tear your hair out at the same time. I got to see the "emotional" side of computer games and if it was to be believed that is the future of computer games. :p And that essentially was the theory. If the audience was anything to go by I have a sinking feeling that this might be true.

I havent written regularly in a while and that is something I hope to rectify. Writing essentially is a very therapeutic and entertaining exercise. It has always been inherently therapeutic, but what makes it fun is the ability to write at "targetted" audiences ;) And yes this too does brighten up the day considerably. :)

The latest issue of Wisden is out. For the uninitiated Wisden is considered by many as the most comprehensive magazine on cricket. Earlier restricted to English cricket it has grown to cover the game globally, with full records and the like. That reminded me of something that I had come across quite a long time ago and captures the spirit of the game beautifully.


The Truth of Cricket
Often in my hearing, it's been said by seers and mystics,
Lies are only lies but statistics are damn statistics.

I once heard a great man say to a man, "You want to know about cricket?
Keep out of Wisden, avoid Wisden , I tell you, man, that's the ticket!"
Other chap he pulled at his imaginary box and replied,
"Wisdom, did you say? Wisdom? For that I've searched far and wide."

"Not wisdom, you ninny!" said first. " Listen afore you talk!"
Wisdom and Wisden, different as cheese and chalk!"

Oh, I've known men, grown men, had to be taught by fistics,
That lies are only lies but statistics are damn statistics.

Said he, "I've seen centuries, double tons, as dry as an old maids' nighty!
And I've seen ducks, sublime ducks, memorable and mighty!

That Bradman they quote ad nauseum with his ninety nine point whatever.
It means nought, me old sport, it's not necessarily clever.

Think Courtney Walsh from his aggregate be best bowler, damn his hide?
I've seen better, much better, who could only bowl a wide!"

Ah, cricket is an art form, stuff your silly logistics.
Lies are only lies but statistics are damn statistics.

-- Unknown


Cricket literature is actually a genre by itself and is worth reading. There are quite a few pieces which are a pleasure to read. Time to end .. over and out. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Natasha said...

targetted audiences arul?????????????:)
reminds me about a post i have to write...about lost innocence and dis honor.....

7:00 PM  
Blogger PIV said...

well nats.. first of all thank u for unwittingly helping me prove a point :) i wasnt talking of u in this case ;) as for the "target" of some of my writings if ur reading this.. i hope i stand vindicated now. :)

hmm nats, u were the only reason i managed to survive that one and a half hour at the seminar :)

As for lost innocence and dishonour.. circumstances have constrived to work against.

7:19 PM  
Blogger d4u said...

Hehe..."Truth of Cricket" indeed!! Reely well- written..:D!!

10:29 AM  
Blogger PIV said...

thanks annie :) nice to see u here. how u guys doing. Im sure george must have passed on the message .. but congratulations are again in order ;)

as for the audioblog yea u are rite. so far from what I know you have to ring up a number in the US. I hope they become a bit more global cause I love the concept. It sort of combines what are essentially different communication channels ;) Unfortunately I have a feeling this might not make it big like so many other amazing things. :(

Btw nag .. u are rite .. i shud probably record a few more of those thoughts. ;)

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Cheap Domain Registration FREE hit counter spider tracker